The Owls made it three in a row after a comfortable 1-0 away win against Rotherham United.

Sheffield Wednesday needed three points against out-of-form Rotherham United to keep their survival dreams alive.

Pre-match, Wednesday boss Danny Rohl said: “We know the situation is still serious and it goes very quickly in this league in the other direction.

“But at the moment, we are going in the right direction.”

Although only seven miles and one league position separate the clubs, the gulf in class between the two sides was evident at the New York Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Wednesday spent the majority of the first half camped inside the Millers’ final third but lacked composure in and around the box.

This was evidenced after 21 minutes when Owl’s winger Poveda flashed a shot around the post after a positive run, cutting inside from the right.  

The visitors did have the ball in the net from Akin Famewo but it was disallowed for offside in a questionable decision by the officials.

The goal didn’t come for Wednesday in the first half, but they were certainly on top, boasting 60% possession and 11 shots to Rotherham’s solitary effort.

Leam Richardson’s side started the second half with more intensity during the first ten minutes and had a few flurries around the away side’s area, but they didn’t create any clear opportunities.

The lack of quality in the Millers’ attack was met by a collective groan from the home fans on the 64th minute, when a seemingly promising counterattack culminated in a 30 yard back pass to their goalkeeper, Viktor Johansson.  

Danny Rohl’s men finally broke the deadlock in the 66th minute when Ike Ugbo swept the ball in from close range after a quick passing exchange from the Owl’s on the edge of the box.

Ugbo goal from the stands via @lv_kezx on X

The last half an hour was fairly straightforward for the Owls, despite Barry Bannan clearing an effort off the line to keep the clean sheet intact.

Second half substitute Mallik Wilks also hit the post for the visitors with a headed effort in added time.

After the match, Rohl said: “From the beginning we were on the front foot, and we created a lot of chances and at half-time I had a clear message.

I said to my team it was great what we were doing, but it was about what we did in the box.”

The win for Wednesday was crucial and has pushed the Owls to within three points of safety.

When Rohl took the helm in December, they were struggling on 13 points at the foot of the table.

Wednesday play host to Plymouth Argyle tomorrow for another ‘six pointer’ in the relegation scrap.